Saturday, July 25, 2015

New Video --- 'My Life' by E.J. tha Witchdoctor, 7/25/2015

I'm doing this one for my true, true Dirty South heads--- the ones who get uptight and feel some kinda way when I say, "Every day is a holidaaay!!"  Ya'll know I'm Dungeon Family bred going waaaay back to the early 90's, and there was always one member of the DF who was as mysterious and beyond comprehension as Donald Trump's voting bloc.  And that brotha was E.J. tha Witchdoctor.

People always ask me, "Whatever happened to EJ?"--- as if I'm a member of the DF and would know sensitive information such as that, right?  Funny thing is... I do kinda keep in contact with the brotha; matta of fact, within the past two years or so, I actually purchased his latest CD directly from him, complete with the smell of incense upon opening the envelope, lol

Well, recently EJ hit me up and put me up on his latest single, My Life.  And while I was listening I had an alphabetical epiphany--- EJ is the ODB of the DF.

I was in the middle of listening to ODB's Return to the 36th Chamber, particularly the love song he did, Drunk Song (Sweet Shuga Pie).  What EJ and ODB have in common is that, besides being extremely eccentric, they both have this... unique way of singing.  You listen to their voices, and you can tell that, if they put their minds to it, they could actually sing according to standards.  But they both take creative liberties--- EJ always molds his sound to be eerie and shamanistic; ODB would always mold his sound to be operatic and drunken.

Either way, if you listen while conscious of these tendencies in their styles... it sorta works for 'em.  It creates the desired effect.  It's a new age, but people forget that artistry used to be about the artist taking chances with his art instead of catering to the every whim of the audience.

With that being said, peep this latest video from the Dungeon Family's resident shaman.  Will there be a second DF collaboration album in the future?  I'll ask him what he foresees the next time he pops up in a cloud of smoke...



P.S. --- Nothing I tell you here could possibly prepare you for the end of this video.  But if you're down with [adult swim] like I'm down with [adult swim], you might appreciate it ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's Chat It Up!