Tuesday, July 21, 2015

New Music --- 'Dreaming' & 'Black Man Down' by Prosperer, 7/21/2015

Ya know, in 2015 everybody and they momma can rhyme.   Ever since the advent of YouTube, it really doesn’t take much to get on but a gimmick and a following in a world full of followers.  So cats come at me all the time telling me they can spit.  But I wanna talk about this one cat in particular…

He’s a former student of mine via two schools.  As in, I was at one school and he was there, and then I ended up at another school… and he ended up there too, lol.  I knew he was sharp, but I didn’t know how sharp until we started choppin it up about music.
  Naturally, he asked me to check him out, so I figured I was about to hear yet another typical high school MC.

…And what I ended up hearing was something VERY different from the average high school MC.

You know I’m all about #BARS, and I’m seeing that more and more from Augusta area artists which is BEAUTIFUL.  But there’s another thing that really makes an MC stand out to me, and that’s #PASSION.  I know a lot of spitters that can talk loud and aggressive to come off gangsta, or go the opposite route and sound extremely sappy and wimpy tryna be romantic.   But when an MC can spit in a way that makes you feel the way they feel… they’ve got a gift.  That’s a Tupac.  And that’s Prosperer.

Check this out:



OH yes… any MC that starts the verse off with #GRIZZNATION references is guaranteed about to black out, lol.  And you can’t help but respect the #GRIT n #GRIND in Prosperer’s voice as the verse goes on.  That’s that passion I’m talkin bout, and to say the brotha's a poet would be an understatement, LOVE the technique.

(And yes, in case you didn’t know, I’m BOUT dem Memphis Grizzlies, on the serious.  I need two NBA seasons…)

I was talking with Prosperer about his views of what it means to be an MC and what he aims to do whenever he spits.  His philosophy involves two elements:  passion and presentation.  In his mind, an MC should never sound dead or flat on a track, and he should be so dope that, even on a wack beat, he makes the listener stay involved.  In his unofficial remix to Isaiah Rashad’s “Shot You Down” entitled “Black Man Down”, he references the Notorious B.I.G. as being an example of an MC who could effortlessly transform a wack beat into a hit.  Prosperer definitely has the art form in his blood, and that’s a beautiful thing.




Ever since I found out about Prosperer I’ve been clockin; turns out the young man is part of a crew!  I’m a big fan of crews making a comeback in Hip Hop--- from the classic Dungeon Family, Wu Tang Clan, Duck Down &Def Squad Crew to the modern ASAP Mob, Pro.Era, TDE… and now Dreamkillerz.  That’s right:  we’ve got some crews of our own right here in Augusta.  Check out this cut from the Dreamkillerz crew featuring members Prosperer and Kay OH:




Augusta has a lot to be proud of and a lot to support.  If you hear anybody talking about there’s nothing to do or nothing going on, tell them to stop being a lazy-a$$ and find somebody to support!  I’m excited to see the direction Prosperer goes with his artistry, as well as the emergence of his crew Dreamkillerz from the depths.  Our culture is changing, and it’s changing for the better.  Let’s protect that; let’s support that.
-E.G.S.


Get @ me:

@earlgreysummers on Twitter


/earl.g.summers  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's Chat It Up!