Sunday, April 10, 2016

I Still Love H.E.R. - A Wanja Lange Education

As an on-again-off-again rhymespitter, I can say that I definitely could’ve used some key people in my corner from the very start.  Particularly because I’m not on that gangsta/trap/genocide chit and actually spit real lyrics to uplift my people and my culture--- I definitely could’ve used the advice and input of somebody who understands THAT kinda Hip Hop, somebody who knows how to promote rooted music in an age where so many fans only want some gibberish to nod their heads and get handcuffed to.

With that being said, let me introduce ya’ll to one of the coolest people I’ve never met in person.  Wanja Vonya Lange, owner of the ‘I Still Love H.E.R.’ blog (iStillLoveHER.de) and the I Still Love H.E.R. Promotion Agency.  I have NO IDEA how I came across this woman, but she’s definitely one of the highlights of my Facebook timeline.
  Sooo much information about music industry professionalism and what it takes to make the industry work for you, particularly as an independent artist.  (If you’re smart, that means you’re on your way to follow her page right now.)

From time to time she posts very informative videos.  As a blogger myself, I found this one was spot on.  I get all kinds of submissions from artists, some that leave me optimistic about the culture, some that leave me scratching my head. 


I wouldn’t say I’m anywhere as professional as she is (as I do all this for free like a fool), but the bars she drops about the way this artist-to-blogger thing works are indispensable.  (If you’re smart, you’re now subscribing to her YouTube.  Keep up.)

On a personal level--- and again, I’ve never personally met this person in person--- it’s been very refreshing reading Wanja’s occasional status updates.  I’m sure she doesn’t want me putting personal business out there but, to summarize, I don’t know a bigger J.Dilla fan.  When Sean P and Phife Dawg passed away recently, it was dope knowing at least one person on my timeline was as deeply and sincerely affected by the losses as I was.  How deeply?  Check out this DOPE-A$$ PHIFE DAWG MIX SHE CREATED:



She’s also shown herself to have a heart for humanity, wanting freedom and equality for so many different marginalized groups.  And get this--- for being based out of Germany, she’s shown more support for minority communities in America than a lot of my American peeps who LIVE here!  That’s significant to me, because it’s hard for me to buy someone being a Hip Hop aficionado and not having the “One Love” essence.  Like... who rocks with NWA and the WuTang Clan, but then doesn't understand the #BLACKLIVESMATTER movement?  Seriously... 

Back in the day when I was a high school kid stalking the Dungeon Family, T-Mo Goodie once told me, “The industry is just like school:  if you study, you pass; if you don’t study you fail” (he told me this over his mother’s phone while mowing the grass, btw--- Yellow Pages, ya’ll youngins wouldn’t understand).  I would’ve loved to have come across Wanja and the I Still Love H.E.R. Promotion Agency back then, because it’s been a GREAT learning experience.  Consider this my personal recommendation (I used the words ‘person’ and ‘personal’ a lot in this blog entry, didn’t I?).

Visit the I Still Love H.E.R. blogsite for more informational videos and to find out more about the I Still Love H.E.R. Promotion Agency.

www.istillloveher.de

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's Chat It Up!