Thursday, April 2, 2015

April Fool's Day, Part II

4-1-2015, 5th Period

He’s a troubled student, but I can already see him being successful.  He’s always been charismatic, and whether he was misbehaving or apologizing, he’s always given off a positive energy.  I can tell by how his peers embrace him, and by how he shrinks back into self-reflection when he’s done wrong that he’s a good guy…


He shared with me his ambitions to be a real estate agent today, and if it was up to me I’d put him in training to get his real estate license right now.  I mean, why not?!  I know how kids like him operate--- when they don’t see the value in what they’re doing at the moment, they easily fall victim to distractions.  But when they’ve made up their minds to do something--- when they see and understandi the rewards that will come from it--- they’re focused and go into aggressive pursuit.  I bet that’s all he needs; shoot, that’s all I need my doggone self!

But, yet again, our society has this wonderful system set up, and everything must be done in accordance with that system.  And when I was young, dumb, and believed that the system was without flaw, I would totally preach the gospel of compliance and protocol.  But, no.  The system is broken.  Our precious little credentialing system is but an illusion of education, far from as effective as it ought to be.  And it is failing our kids.  So when I hear this young man tell me what he wants to do, everything within me says, “He should be allowed to begin the pursuit of his dream.  Right now.  He should be able to enroll to get training for his real estate license.  Right now.”

So I told him, go research.  Find out how to get a real estate license.  Get it while you’re still young.  Find other realtors and introduce yourself.  Learn as much as you can from them.  If I had a million dollars, I’d pay for him to take the required classes.  No, not because he’s proven to be the greatest student, but because I know he sees the value in his objective.  He wouldn’t just be going to classes because it’s the thing to do or because somebody made him go; he’d be going because he has a vision for himself.  He’s intrinsically motivated, and that’s a beautiful thing that should be nurtured at all costs.  I believe that’s where excellence is born.

…I pray that, in the time it takes him to meet “system requirements”, he doesn’t lose that motivation.  I pray that he doesn’t meet with distractions that send his life in a less positive direction, because I know they’re all around him.  Time is so important, and it’s so easy to get led astray.  So easy to find discouragement.  The sooner he gets placed on a clear and direct path to success, the better.

#HERELIESEDUCATION

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's Chat It Up!