Tuesday, May 26, 2015

An E.G.S. #SPECIALREQUEST: Keyshia Cole Should Cover Evelyn Champagne King

As a self-proclaimed music aficionado, sometimes I get ideas.  I think like a producer, so every now and then I hear an artist at work and think to myself, "It would be so dope if..."  And through blogging, I found out that sometimes, if I just throw an idea out into the atmosphere, it actually comes into being--- sometimes in ways I never expected.  So what the hay; I've got an idea.

My first "brilliant idea" of many to come is surrounding a certain Keyshia Cole...
 I didn't think I'd be a fan when she first came out, but over a career of solid cuts, she's won me over.  And what it is (aside from the fact she favors a wonderful person I used to know) is that she has a very unique voice.  I remember Puff Daddy (nostalgia, right) once said something along the lines of, "She has a vocal quality that you can't teach."  To describe it, it's a kind of "breathy call" that she does that adds this "desperate" tone to her delivery.  It's very soulful, VERY sexy... truly a gift.

Well, maybe that texture can't be taught, but it can be duplicated.  Because, in my old-school listening, I realized that Keyshia Cole's not the first songstress to have that vocal quality.  I was zoning late the other night while riding through the streets of Augusta when a classic came on the radio--- "Love Come Down" by Evelyn Champagne King.  On the low, it's one of my favorite old school cuts; I just never downloaded it because it took me years to remember to look up the artist.  The reason I liked the track so much, aside from that 80's synth bass and such, is because Evelyn Champagne King... has that "breathy call".  When she says "And I caaan't help the way that I feel", you can hear it on the word "help".  ...Or rather, you can't hear it; the 'h' virtually disappears.  The effect on the listener is so dope.

(Hollup...  I just realized I had a neighbor who used to talk like that.  ...Wonder whatever happened to her?  Anyway...)

So, here's what Earl Grey Summers, The Experienced Listener wants:  Keyshia Cole, if you're reading this, I would very much like for you to do a cover of "Love Come Down" by Evelyn Champagne King.  I think you've got it in you; I think, based on your track record, you could possibly even improve upon it.  I think that track you did, "Let It Go" with Missy and Lil Kim is in the same vein as "Love Come Down", so maybe Missy should be the go-to producer to help put it together.
...So there you have it, my #SPECIALREQUEST.  I'm gonna put it out there; let's see if it comes back!

#THEEXPERIENCEDLISTENER



Let's Chat It Up

earlgreysummers@gmail.com

@earlgreysummers on Twitter

/earl.g.summers

1 comment:

  1. OMG! so i aint the only who thought they sounded alike, i think it will be dope if she covered that classic, everytime i hear that song ,i imagine keyshiacole singing it!

    ReplyDelete

Let's Chat It Up!